Sunday, February 12, 2012

Down with government....?

Because of a few big-headed, narcissistic so-called "news programs," people have begun to fear the government. I don't get the hate that people have against government. I understand it within the context of the seemingly "ill" congress and their inability to come together. Or frustrations expressed with our elected officials looking out for personal gain instead of the common good. But I do not agree with hatred or fear toward the government, in general. I believe is there for our good...for our security, for the organization of this wonderful country. "Big Government" or "Small government," broken or in repair, I believe in our government.
Personally, I am against government which discriminates against a people. I am against a government which stands by and watches its people fall so that the stronger can get ahead and become wealthy, etc. But I support our government....with my vote and my voice...however small it may be.
I love the following quote found at lds.org:

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints believes in good politics and good government and in the right of people to exercise their franchise. There is an entire section in the Doctrine and Covenants on the subject:
“We believe that governments were instituted of God for the benefit of man; and that he holds men accountable for their acts in relation to them, both in making laws and administering them, for the good and safety of society. … such as will administer the law in equity and justice should be sought for and upheld by the voice of the people. …” (D&C 134:1, 3.)

4 comments:

  1. Amen! Big or small, we are in it together. Lets help those in need to get back on their feet...just like the Church Welfare system teaches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY we agree on something! :) Did you say you have a calling with the church welfare system or something?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was in the bishopric in an area that was one of the greater users of the Church Welfare system so we got some training on how to best handle it so we were not getting people into a habit of paying for their rent every month with no end in sight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, yes. I knew that. I think that is an important thing to do...have a weening process on government programs...much like unemployment funding...they need to be actively seeking a job...someone getting food stamps should be actively seeking a way to better budget their money, etc, perhaps programs with training on budgeting, etc. That is just hard to regulate, though.

    ReplyDelete