Sunday, September 16, 2012

I am grateful for our Prophet and apostles

I just wanted to say that I am very grateful for the apostles and prophets. I am grateful that there are such worthy men in the world who can receive guidance for us on behalf of our Heavenly Father. Today I missed most of Regional Conference and I am really sad that I wasn't there. Dalin H. Oaks spoke. He spent the last 6 mins of his talk speaking about things that I thought were worth noting:

*Conduct political discussion in a civil manner.
*We want our members to "participate in the political process in an informed manner and by ALL means to vote."
*We are all daughters and sons of the same Heavenly Father and that comes first and should reach over all boundaries.
*Recent political events have made the church a spotlight more so than ever before. Though there have been many truthful and positive articles and things that have come forth, some of the things mentioned on the news and in other places are not true.
* But the church does not intervene and set people straight during political campaigns bc doing so might encourage an affiliation with one candidate over another. And the church does not support one candidate more than another.
*Some doctrine is used inaccurately by members--I will quote this part: "..The influence of right wing groups who mistakenly apply prophesies about the last days to promote efforts to form para military or militia organizations. Such groups might undermine authority of public officials in the event of extra ordinary emergencies or even in the cases of disagreement with government public policy.
*The leaders of the church have always taught that we should observe the law...we counsel against joining para military organizations.. . The church has counseled the storage of food and water not the storage of arms and ammunition" (laughter in the crowd). ---But I KNOW people who have tried to argue with me that arms and ammunition are necessary for the last days! So I am so glad that he reassured me there.
*Marital counseling is good as long as they are professional and are in line with the gospel principles.

Isn't that interesting? I really found it uplifting and refreshing to hear him take the time at the end of his talk to focus on those few things--things at the forefront of our minds--at least mine. I find it disturbing however that there are people in Utah County participating in their own military organizations---um, yikes! But glad he said something, since that is going on! Also, the marital counseling thing was interesting...and I am not sure what it was in regards to--but someone knows, I am sure.
I have engaged in many political discussions and I find new resolve to insure that it remains civil. It is easy to get overly emotional...I always check with the people I talk to to make sure they don't get emotional about it...or my opinion if it differs with theirs...but that is why blogging about politics is easier bc we don't risk getting overly emotional and hurting one another over dumb politics! Well...I guess that is still a risk...but we can think about what to say before we speak out of emotions. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment